The ppas could still be added, though with a bit more manual work; it's not as easy as, for instance,

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:sparkers

You'd have to go to the launchpad page, locate the 'deb' and 'deb src' lines for the ppa of interest, add them to '/etc/sources.list', and add the gpg fingerprint with a command (I forget what that is). I like the Debian network installer, but have not tried the one from the live Wheezy cd; don't know how it compares to Ubiquity. I once installed a distro that used the utility called remastersys-installer, and getting dumped into gparted when it came time to set up the disk, was a little intimidating. If not Ubiquity, then something just as easy to use is nice.