When the law is wrong, it sometimes has to be disobeyed. Have you read "Civil Disobedience" by the abolitionist "Henry David Thoreau"?

It is not desirable to cultivate a respect for the law, so much as for the right. The only obligation which I have a right to assume is to do at any time what I think right.

As for your financing system: if the user of a program needs to pay to modify it, then this program is proprietary software.

As for the quality of free software: that is a secondary argument. One that will not bring users to 100% free software because many of them would tell you Photoshop is better than GIMP, MS Office is better than LibreOffice, etc. Even if, at some point in time, free software is technically better than proprietary software, that may change later and the users, who were convinced by that argument, would go back to proprietary software. People must be made aware of the essential freedoms they deserve as computer users. That is the only way I know to never lose those freedoms once got.