> IMO all software, dealing with privacy aspects (like e-mail clients, ftp-clients and others) NEED to be opensource.

It's no use using a free email program if you connect to the internet with a non-free wireless-card ;)
What I want to tell you is:
if some privacy related programs are free software it's good but not sufficient. Every non-free program is a weak point of our privacy which can be used to spy on us. We should try hard to keep the number of these points as small as possible; many of us make compromises when things get to hard, for example many of us (including me) are using a non-free bios, and sometimes I have to accept to run non-free javascript.
But all those issues are on my list and I keep an eye on them.