Cool, arbuzik, you sounds really enthusiastic about this lol. I'd like to clarify some words in your post. Lots of people, including me, mix these words up:

Free vs Open Source:

Free refers to specific freedoms. Open source allows for proprietary parts. Open source can be 5% proprietary, or 55% ... there is no specific definition.

Open source is a good stepping stone, but it doesn't offer the benefits you saw in free software.

GNU and Linux:

GNU is an operating system. GNU is free software. Linux is one part of an operating system. Without the rest of the OS, you couldn't use a computer with Linux. Linux is open source (partly proprietary) software.

Linux is a good stepping stone, but it doesn't offer the benefits we see in GNU.

The Libre-Linux project removes the proprietary parts from Linux. (At least) one distro, Debian, offers an OS with GNU Hurd instead of Linux. There may be others.

Someone correct me if I got something wrong, please.