Actually this is so cool and comes in handy, despite being oriented more on a Thief-related fanboys/gals instead of hardcore D00m3rs. It was merely two weeks ago when I tried (out of curiosity) a native-built GNU/Linux GPLv3 licensed (with several e.g. library exceptions mentioned in README.txt) client [1] together with prop. D3BFG game assets.. but without luck under Xubuntu Saucy's 9.2.1 Mesa GL renderer. Got actually into menu with blank black screen and working SFX in the background, while getting debug warnings in console regards not supporting OpenGL 3.2 newer GLSL shading language yet and so on. So I gave up.

1.| https://github.com/RobertBeckebans/RBDOOM-3-BFG