Magic Banana, I started that package route and got three packages deep before hitting a block.

I then discovered an Ubuntu repository and a wiki about Pitivi's dependencies (http://wiki.pitivi.org/wiki/Dependencies).

I first tried adding the repository and upating my system:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gstreamer-developers/ppa && sudo apt-get update

Next, I restarted and noticed a strange behavior, i.e., the application windows started showing on the left side of the Trisquel start menu. I attached at the bottom of this post. Here is a direct link to it:
https://trisquel.info/files/menu-issue.png

I then went to install the other dependencies, following the instructions on the Pitivi wiki page for Ubuntu.

# Basic build tools:
sudo apt-get install git build-essential automake libtool itstool gtk-doc-tools gnome-common gnome-doc-utils yasm flex bison

# Stuff related to introspection, GTK, canvases, and various other dependencies:
sudo apt-get install libgirepository1.0-dev python-dev python-gi-dev \
python-cairo-dev libcairo2-dev libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev libpulse-dev libgtk-3-dev \
libclutter-1.0-dev libclutter-gtk-1.0-dev

# GStreamer 1.x, if you're lucky and your distro packages are recent enough:
sudo apt-get install gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-alsa gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio \ libgstreamer-plugins-bad1.0-dev libgstreamer-plugins-base1.0-dev libgstreamer1.0-dev libgstreamer1.0-0

# GStreamer plugins' full set of dependencies to build all the codecs:
sudo apt-get build-dep gstreamer1.0-plugins-base gstreamer1.0-plugins-good gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad gstreamer1.0-plugins-ugly

Next, I followed Pitivi's instructions for installation, i.e., to cd into the pitivi file, configure, make, and install (http://pitivi.org/?go=download).

I was finally able to complete configuration and installation through the terminal. However, Pitivi will not launch. When I click on the application to launch, it tries for about 20 seconds and then crashes.

Any ideas on how to get this application to open?

Also, is there a setting to restore my Trisquel menu, so that the open applications show on the right side of the Trisquel start menu?

Any help or ideas is appreciated.

Also, Andresm, I'm determined to get up and running on Trisquel. But perhaps, down the road, I may try a seperate install of Parabola. I first need to get more comfortable with the terminal.