I've had some bad experiences with Samsung printers. It was with one of the early low end laser printers in fact. It's the same with HP I believe. In any event despite Samsung clearly advertising support for "Linux", they only provided proprietary drivers for a few distributions. I believe it was Redhat and maybe SUSE. These low end laser printers aren't a good choice for GNU/Linux users. They're generally not postscript compliant, and dependent on some non-free driver.

That said if you bought a higher end laser printer years ago there is a much better chance it'll work fairly seamlessly as most of the higher end laser printers traditionally have been postscript compliant making supporting them easy. It is less true today than ever before though. However that said I believe there are still a lot of higher end laser printers with postscript support on the market.