Have you subscribed to the list before posting the patch?  In my
experience mails rarely leave moderation queues, while mails from
subscribed users are usually accepted without moderation.

I believe only Ruben can significantly improve the current development
process.  The new GitLab instance is a part of work being done to help
us collaborate.  My current policy is to wait until he announces some
changes.

We have development mailing list and IRC channel (which used to have
development meetings): there are places where you can ask newcomer
questions which other contributors can ask.  I think the low number of
patches results from people expecting to be ignored, focusing on other
projects or not being interested in contributing.