"It make apparent what the majority agrees/disagrees with"

No, it definitly doesn't. It's like ... somebody in town beat up an immigrant and now the whole town is anti-immigrant? How do you come to the conclusion that two or three votes represent the majority?
It's mainly people with the *strongest opinions* on the topic who vote.

I would prefer a voting system that doesn't show the amount of upvotes unless a certain threshold - for instance, 5 or 6 votes - is reached.
Then this vote could get highlighted in green.
I don't think this down voting thing should exist at all.
You post something reasonable and some jerk gives you a -1.
It doesn't represent anything, it's just a way for trolls to spit in your face.