I liked the idea that Blag was based on Fedora. I think the FSF keeps Blag on the distro list is because there are people with very old hardware would be using those old distros. Nonetheless, you've got a point. There should be AT LEAST a separation where they put: "These are the distros maintained more closely", and one that helps programmers focus "These are the distros that should be maintained"

Check this out regarding the new version of Gnewsense: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNewSense Go to the part in which there is listed the Gnewsense versions. Since Gnewsense 4 will be based on Debian 7, we'll have availability for better packages like those of Libre Office or Icecat. Since I'm using Gnewsense 3.1 I had to compile Icecat 14 on my own. For some reason, I couldn't compile Icecat 17, so by getting it from Debian 7, Gnewsense will not have too many issues like this.