Ok so in my journey to be able to play some 3d karts game, I have tried the following emulators:

snes, super mario kart;
gba, super mario kart;
nintendo ds, super mario kart;
nintendo 64, super mario kart;

the firt two play nicely, no matter what options i choose, but the graphics are kinda... meeh. Of course, that is to be expected. The gba actually have nice graphics problem is when I want to play full screen at a much bigger resolution than it was originally intended for :P And the snes games are always enjoyable :) The last two are too demanding on my machine, considering the fact that I don't have graphics card with 3d acceleration to help it.

I suppose I will have to stick to what works, which is snes :(
I will also try to check some free/libre 2d games in the repos (or not in the repos but 2d games). I want to play some "fun" games with my gf, and she isn't very into "real gaming". It's more a way to play some fun games, have some laughs, a little healthy competition, maybe organize a gaming night with some friends... just that :)

Any help/suggestions?

thanks!!