I have tried messing around with the settings, but got nothing good. I mean, it runs well in 320x240, which is fine by me, but I can't even stretch that over the entire screen. If I use higher resolutions or just "stretch" a low resolution over the entire screen, it starts lagging.

On the happy side, I discovered some really nice 3d games on Game Boy Advance. I never played or gave any interest to that console, but discovered that there are some fun games. And, because it doesn't demand too much CPU, my computer can play it very well. I have been using the "super eagle" filter, though I have read about a hq8x filter that apparently makes GBA games almost HD. Too bad I can't find any way to install/compile it for GNU/Linux.

As for the suggestion... thanks, but in my country is not easy to sell this pc and get a new one. Not when I am broke :(
However, I might give it a go when things get better :)

Another possible "solution" is to try to use an Android Tablet my gf has around and get it to run some games (emulators or not). F-Droid has some free/libre games for android :) I think the tablet might be able to run hdmi out :)