> Mainstream users use what comes with the computer.
That was a really good point right there. Also I think you're right about the product tying. But I think the another problem is that because of Windows have being the OS which "comes with the computer" for so long time, mainstream users are comparing all the new software to Windows alternatives. Windows might have a "practical, cool looking and stable" software in most cases, and the user is not going to be satisfied with less. I have been come across users who have seen GNU/Linux desktop environments so ugly on most of the distros that they can't even consider changing just because of that. Another things have been lack of quality software in some areas, and more complex installation of software, if you have to install it straight from the website.

Now when it came to mind, have you ever thought why it's sometimes made so hard to install a piece of software from the manufacturer's website? Why can it be as simple as on Windows? Just download let's say .deb file, double click it and it starts to install. Instead, many times you have to compile from source or there might be PPA option. Why those developers don't provide .deb file for example? Some software providers have that, a good example is Steam. You can download steam.deb file from the website. But in most cases there might be PPA OR just a source code! What the heck? If you want to get more users to download your software, why to provide only the source code and make it more hard for the user? GNU/Linux seems always to suffer from a bad support. For example, when you go to Spotify's website to download the app, you first have the Windows version, spotify.exe. As a Windows user you could just download it and you're good to go. But when you go to "Spotify for linux", you have the list of terminal instructions how to add the keys in your system, then the PPA and finally how to update your apt-get. Why can't there just be spotify.deb? PPAs or similar are good in my opinion, but not all users are feeling the same. Those mainstream user's that we have so much talked about, would be happy if they can just download a file and click it to install it! That's one of the problems new users face. They are then strictly limited on their distros repositories, that can't have every piece of software that the user might want to use. Also that would be the most simple way for all the GNU/Linux users. Double-clicking an icon is faster than copy-pasting commands.