"If there is no unacceptable issues with Debian/main then why reinvent the wheel?" Well, there needs a base. Debian couldn't have existed without the GNU Project to make the wheel back in 1983 in the first place. It's called Debian GNU/Linux for a reason. :)

"There is an immense manpower already being invested in Debian project."
The same can be said of the GNU Project. It's going strong for 33 years. A lot of work has been put forth.

"I am a bit more on the pragmatical side of it. More specifically I happen to be against duplication of effort." The GNU Project predates Debian, so if there is any duplication it's Debian is duplicating the effort to make a system not the other way around. :)

Although I don't suppose Debian actually "makes" them system, at least not in the context I am talking. Because they don't actually *make* the things like the compiler and whatnot themselves. That's what the GNU Project does. :)