"Why did you say nothing to the last paragraph in my post?"

Because if you understood the rest of my points, your proposal in the last paragraph becomes obsolete. Using javascript locally with some kind of html interpreter? Why in the world would you avoid the webbrowser like that? You are aware that you can store many javascript apps onto your pc and then execute it without internet connection as many times as you want? Very often the browser even does it for you, storing the code in his cache ( a fact that you ignored through out your whole post). Of course many of those javascript apps are dependent on a working internet connection, but so are many desktop apps. Others are not. You can right now search for a simple calculator app online, go to "save page" and then pull the ethernet cable.

Well, I agree that it would be handy to package bigger web apps as some sort of browser add on, so that it really stays in the browser and doesn't have to be downloaded over and over again. By the way, I never claimed that the situation with web based apps should stay the way it is now, but I guess I start to repeat myself.

"No, they're inherently spyware because every time they're used, your server is contacted. As in, no matter how friendly the code is, it's set up in such a way that you can track when they are running the program."
Again, not true.
If the browser doesn't store the app in his cache, then it might be true, but it's a matter of configuration. And if the app depends on a server connection by its nature, then this would also hold for an equivalent desktop app.