1.- You can select what files or directories to sync with wich device. But fair enough I haven't use samba. As I thought it was meant to share with windows and, fortunately we get cidmof windows in my house :)

2.- That depends on your configuration, you can backup everything.

3.- If you connect to a server with SSH and you want some file in your PC you need to exit the SSH session and use scp command. Or open a different terminal. You can't edit and save the file at once. (At least not that I know, it might be possible and I just ignore how)

4.- Yes. Overall I wanted to give a simple easy to configure solution. I felt like SSH was too much trouble for something simple. Not that SSH is bad, just that Syncthing was maybe more according to Heather use case.