You should definitely learn Bash and there are many tutorials around the Internet for that. You should lean basic usage for command-line tools like grep, sed, awk, diff and patch. You should also learn how Deb packaging works, for which there should be tutorials on the Ubuntu and Debian wiki, and probably in other places too.

General understanding of how GNU/Linux systems work is good to have. Stuff like file system hierarchy, mounting, partitioning, types of file systems and file owners/permissions.

Also, it's probably not mandatory, but it may be useful to have some basic knowledge how C/C++ programming and compiling works.

If you (or anyone else) is really up of for doing this, I'm open to help by giving gratis lessons on the above (or related) topics - I'm a teacher and I enjoy explaining stuff. :)

The effort to help Trisquel development is useful, although in my opinion it would be more useful to develop a better beginner-friendly installer for Parabola, because it seems to me that's the main thing that Trisquel/Ubuntu do better and make them more beginner friendly. I think the general architecture of Parabola/Arch is better overall and Parabola is already well maintained.