"Debian was actually the last major GNU/Linux distribution to adopt a modern init system by default. There has to be a default. And it is a lot of work to maintain init scripts or several init systems, especially sysvinit's horrible Shell scripts.

Debian's technical committee *decided* through vote (their usual procedure) after a (very) long debate that this default should be systemd. Nobody forced them. The debate was mostly about systemd vs. Upstart, which is now unmaintained and unused (Ubuntu abandoned it in favor of systemd). The other init systems that were proposed, sysvinit and OpenRC, were deemed inferior. See https://wiki.debian.org/Debate/initsystem for the (technical) defenses that the proponents of each init system wrote and https://bugs.debian.org/727708 for the final discussion, technical as well. Whether you like it or not, all major distributions chose systemd for *technical* reasons. You ignore those reasons and that is fine. If you are not a sysadmin, a developer or a package maintainer, you will probably not even see any difference! Yet you are against systemd. And you propagate FUD"

Wow, lets unpack a few things real quick, Openrc sysvinit and systemd weren't all the options that they should have chose from. Upstart and Runit could have easily have been picked as well.

Also, FUD has nothing to do with it.

"Like any major low-level piece of software, systemd is audited. https://cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvekey.cgi?keyword=systemd lists 23 CVE. As far as I can tell, they are all either already fixed or about local exploits (who cares?) or do not depend on changes in systemd (but on solving bugs in AppArmor)."

Okay, but who is doing the audit, is it the systemd devs or some unbiased third party? If its a third party with no bias fine.

"Now removing "libsystemd0" obviously removes all packages that depend on it. If there are many of them, then that only means developers like systemd's new features. It is their decision to depend on "libsystemd0" so that their program is better (nobody adds useless dependencies!), not Debian's."

What your saying sounds real nice, but it comes as suspicious

"Now removing "libsystemd0" obviously removes all packages that depend on it. If there are many of them, then that only means developers like systemd's new features. It is their decision to depend on "libsystemd0" so that their program is better (nobody adds useless dependencies!), not Debian's."

Tell me, are you always going to worship systemd? Not trying be crass, but given this message:

"I will not install Debian just to try to change the init. Not looking at the documentation, I would simply try to install the package corresponding to the desired init. I imagine APT would then propose me to change it. Doesn't it?"

This shows me that you really don't care about what I am saying. You could easily fire up a virtual machine with debian to prove your point. But sadly, I see you don't really want to know the truth. That you are locked in.