>I have never tried Trisquel Sugar TOAST

>https://trisquel.info/en/download

>but my understanding is that its desktop environment is intended to be healthy for children
>to interface with.

I installed Sugar on Debian for a 5 year old once and it was a terrible experience. Terrible for me installing the games and apps and maintaining the system (many of them wouldn't install and I could not find an easy way to debug). The interface was very clunky and counter intuitive, if I remember correctly the mouse pointer was oversized and difficult to achieve any kind of precision. It has a very interesting community component, but it is useless if there's nobody else using Sugar in the community. The 5 year old disliked it and was very frustrated trying to navigate the interface.

I removed it and installed Xfce, then downloaded all the apps and games and placed nice looking icons on the desktop (I forget which programs exactly, Tux Paint, some that have many games inside them, a Mr. Potato app, a note taking app (I think Leafpad). Tux Paint was very successful. Some touch typing learning programs were quite fun for the 5 year old too, especially the single letter typing challenges and the levels that dealt with familiarizing oneself with the keyboard.

Then the kid's parents gave her an old Android tablet full of games featuring the favorite Disney characters and other culture industry crap and the kid never used the laptop again. In this case the op is also the parent, so the story may have a happier ending.

Peer pressure at school can also make it tough. On the one hand I would not like my son/daughter to grow up manipulated by all the consumer crap (I find the Disney princesses ideology particularly pernicious), on the other hand I would not like my son/daughter to grow up feeling left out. Tough to find a like-minded community, though perhaps possible.