I understand your fears and a few years ago it was so that the network was unstable and it couldn't reach high speeds, not even handle a too large number of users. There was a lot of work put into making the network more sustainable and resilient and it turned out that when a bot-net tried to work inside the Tor network, they could sustain the traffic for a few days without major issues. So, after that a lot of new nodes came into the network, and the Tor Network is now fast enough to handle modern connections in most places of the world and scales to as many users as needed. There is no reason NOT to use it to high-bandwidth tasks, especially because like you said that increases the anonimity of the network A LOT.

Trust me, right now there is no problem using Tor for youtube videos and Facebook pictures of funny cats. I would maybe suggest not using HD content and the like. Other than that, go ahead!