> Yes, sound works perfectly in a guest session.

That means that the problem is specific to your user's configuration. It
sounds like ALSA works, since you got sound when testing your speakers
in Sound settings. (I have since learned that a faster way to do this
would have been to run "speaker-test" in a terminal.) This leads me to
suspect that the problem is with your pulseaudio configuration. What I
would do, is run

$ sudo apt purge pulseaudio && sudo apt install pulseaudio

The difference between "apt purge" and "apt remove" is that "remove"
uninstalls the program but leaves your configuration files, whereas
"purge" removes both the program and configuration files. This way, when
you reinstall pulseaudio you will get fresh configuration files which
should be the same as your Guest user.

If this doesn't work, then the configuration problem is with something
other than pulseaudio and we'll take it from there. In my experience
though, pulseaudio is the most common culprit. Removing pulseaudio
entirely would probably fix sound too, but Firefox and
Firefox-derivatives like Abrowser and Icecat require pulseaudio for
sound, so we're stuck with it. Hopefully returning to the default
configuration will be enough.