Great explanations. Nevertheless, I am unsure of your "exception", at the end of the post. Even with the "trisquel" metapackage removed, updating the distribution should not "result in a broken desktop", as far as I understand: the still-installed dependencies of the older "trisquel" metapackage should be updated (they can even have new dependencies), and so should packages installed on top of that. That should be fine. Simply, the user does not discover the new default applications that entered the new version of the distribution.

So, for the specific example you gave, the user of Belenos who removed the "trisquel" metapackage and updates to Flidas should still have a working GNOME Flashback (at least if I correctly remember what is Belenos's default desktop environment). That said, and as I wrote before, I am unsure: I have not tested that.