> I was wondering if you used
> i3-gaps?

Yes, that's what I use.

> It's not in the Trisquel repo, as far as I know, and I really
> like the aesthetic with gaps.

Last time I checked the way best way to install i3-gaps on Trisquel 8
was to compile it from source.

# get dependencies
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:aguignard/ppa
sudo apt update
sudo apt install libxcb1-dev libxcb-keysyms1-dev libpango1.0-dev
libxcb-util0-dev libxcb-icccm4-dev libyajl-dev
libstartup-notification0-dev libxcb-randr0-dev libev-dev
libxcb-cursor-dev libxcb-xinerama0-dev libxcb-xkb-dev libxkbcommon-dev
libxkbcommon-x11-dev autoconf libxcb-xrm-dev

# clone and build
sudo apt install git
cd /tmp
git clone https://www.github.com/Airblader/i3 i3-gaps
cd i3-gaps
autoreconf --force --install
rm -rf build/
mkdir -p build && cd build/
../configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --disable-sanitizers
make
sudo make install
rm -rf i3-gaps

i3-gaps overwrites i3, so you you'll just need to log in/out.

> Functionality-wise I need nothing more from
> i3 really, it's simply to 'rice' out my i3 :P.

Let's see a screenshot when you're done :)

https://trisquel.info/en/forum/share-your-desktop-again