> My preference, that I now use within UbuntuMATE, for adding software,
> is synaptic, which is already part of Trisquel, as I regard synaptic
> as far superior, and, more user friendly, than the software managers
> (or things that add and remove software) from UbuntuMATE 18.04,
> onward.

We are definitely keeping Synaptic.  It is great for users who know
exactly what they want to install but prefer a graphical interface over
the command line.  For beginners though, it is overwhelming to be
presented with libraries, drivers, *-data, *-dbg, and a bunch of other
packages that they don't understand and probably do not need to install,
alongside the end user applications that they are looking for.  In
addition to Synaptic, we need also need a package manager with better
hierarchy of discoverability to facilitate beginning users finding what
they're looking for.  The problem, as you note, is that many attempts at
doing this are crap, especially gnome-software.  I'm trying to find the
least crappy one.