> We could use the version of gnome-software that PureOS uses. I noticed
> that it seemed to work quite nicely and did not recommend non-free
> software:

For some reason I can't find gnome-software in Purism's VCS,[1] so it is
not easy to see the exact modifications they have made to Debian's
gnome-software.  Based on the changelog available here though,[2] it
appears that most of the modifications made are Librem 5-specific
changes that we don't want, including an added dependency on libhandy.
The only freedom-related item in the changelog that is the removal of
this patch,[3] which is trivial enough that it would be easier to start
upstream's gnome-software and make that small change ourselves, along
with other changes like preventing gnome-software from recommending
packages from PPAs added by the user, than to start with PureOS's and
revert their other changes.

[1]
https://source.puri.sm/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search=gnome-software&group_id=34&project_id=&repository_ref=&nav_source=navbar

[2]