> You mean first you tried the graphical installer, it didn't work, and then you upgraded from 8 instead, and that did work?

exactly

>Perhaps what you describe is similar to my earlier problems. Are you sure the window list actually disappeared? Perhaps it just got squished to 1 px size? I'd suggest you try unlocking things to move them back, that helped me.

I don't know, but it is a bug anyway.

The Problem in Icedove has nothing to with rendering. It is a problem with the black theme which results in black fonts on a very dark background. I think the font color has to be changed to something brighter for theis theme.

I also discovered a security issue.
When the suspend is working, which is as far as I tested mostly one time after a reboot, there is a security issue with the lockscreen from mate. After resuming you can see the desktop for a very short time before the lockscreen with password protection is activated. With a camera it would be easily possible to capture the screen. This should be fixed. I think the lockscreen activation is to slow and it is not done completely before the system is already suspending and then activation is completed after resume.