AMD is more friendly to free software than Nvidia but it is not totally friendly. The microcode and firmware of AMD GPUs are still closed off blobs, it is the drivers that are open source. So the issue is that when trying to use many newer GPUs from AMD on Trisquel they don't work properly as Trisquel refuses to load the blobs they require as it is 100% libre OS free of blobs. Nvidia is totally closed off as they don't even open source the drivers so you run into the same issues on libre operating systems such as Trisquel. The GTX 700 series and older seem to be more libre friendly but trying to run some newer games on such hardware at high settings with a good frame rate is not an easy task.

For me what I think I will do long term is still look to invest in a Talos II system for gaming but not use Trisquel on it. It won't be fully libre software then but will be more libre than running an X86 CPU. For my personal day to day computing dealing with my data I will invest in a libre boot Thinkpad running Trisquel. At least the non libre system will be just for gaming and not have anything sensitive on it.