Magic Banana wrote:

The file contents are sync'ed, not the file names.

Should I expect the time stamp to change ?

amenex wrote:
sudo .filename.bin ... alas, Terminal's response was "command not found."

To which Magic Banana responded:
There is no executable named .filename.bin in any directory listed in $PATH.
Reflects the truth: .filename.bin doesn't actually reside anywhere; it's invoked from the command line in the working directory (where the files to be sync'ed are located) but it
resides in live memory (RAM).

And then Magic Banana continued:
If there is an executable named filename.bin in the working directory and if it accepts 5m
as a single argument,

Magic Banana also said that [one] may execute it in this way:
$ ./filename.bin 5m
Adding, there is here no need for administrator privileges, as granted by sudo.

Amenex exclaimed:
Progress ! Terminal responded as it would when a live script is in progress ...

The output of my long & tortuous nmap script is meant to go into the directory from which filename.bin was executed as recommended by Magic Banana, appears with a time stamp corresponding to its starting time, has had zero bytes from the get-go (as in my usual experience) but several five minute sleep periods have gone by, and there's no sign of any changes in the output file.

George Langford