[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

IF this is true (it sounds a little extreme and one sided) about J. B. Philips it just proves the Mormons wrong again.  Here God has persevered His word even through J. B. Philips.
DAVEH:  Hmmmmmm........I think you are right about that, Brother Glenn.  I was curious as to what Paul really meant about baptism for the dead as referred to in 1Cor 15:29.  Let me quote the passage........

"Further, you should consider this, that if there is to be no resurrection what is the point of some of you being baptized for the dead by proxy?  Why should you be baptized for dead bodies?"

.........Now Glenn, at one time I think you told me that vs 29 did not mean that the early Christians weren't practicing baptism for the dead.  Seems to me that JB Phillips agrees with Mormonism and disagrees with you on that.  To quote a good friend........"This is not bias.  This is plain simple understanding what the passage says.  It is bias/brainwashing to deny the actual writing in black and white. "

    While I'm on this baptism for the dead topic, let me quote a previous technique you used to 'prove' your biased belief.......

**********
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I gave the passage to a couple who were thinking about Mormonism and asked them what it said.  They agree with me and I DID NOT TELL THEM BEFORE HAND WHAT I THOUGHT.  This is not bias.  This is plain simple understanding what the passage says.  It is bias/brainwashing to deny the actual writing in black and white.

   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

    I just said I am happy when you don't believe Mormon doctrine.  I know what Mormon doctrine is concerning myself (this would include
    Billy Graham) following the Bible only in it's present form as being under the influence of Satan.  Your spin is not what the BoM says.

  DAVEH:  I never intended to change your mind or beliefs, Glenn.  Your above comments merely confirm your biases.  You can believe what
  you want about your perception of "what Mormon doctrine is", but it is contrary to what I believe, and what must be millions of other LDS folks.
**********

.......Well Brother Glenn, it occurred to me that if you consider that to be an objective way to determine truth, then I should be able to use the same technique to determine what the Bible says about baptism for the dead.  I asked two non-LDS people to read 1Cor 15:29 and to tell me what they thought it meant.  Both confirmed that it was referring to Christians practicing baptism for the dead.  Simply amazing......."They agree with me and I DID NOT TELL THEM BEFORE HAND WHAT I THOUGHT." So Glenn, using your approved techniques for discovering truth, and JB Phillip's confirming 'translation' of Paul's letter to the Corinthians......I have to conclude that your conclusions about vs 29 are incorrect.  But I won't be surprised if you continue to ignore both unbiased non-Mormons AND Bible scholars.

 A man could read the Philips translation and learn how to be saved.
DAVEH:  Interestingly, according to "Philips translation" the early Christians believed proxy baptisms for the dead was an important element of salvation
 WOW!  IF this is true
DAVEH:  It is!!!
God preserved his word through a man who perhaps didn't even believe that he translated.
DAVEH:  I wonder if you will accept the "Philips translation" as the Word of God.....or do you think errors have crept into it, Glenn?
 GOD WORKS IN MYSTERIES WAY HIS WONDERS TO PERFORM.

Hi James.  Thanks for sharing that about J.B. Philips.  I did not know that
background about him.  I'm not real surprised, though, because I remember
reading a footnote in his translation of 1 Cor. 14 that says he believes a
passage there is the result of a copyist error.

Dave Hansen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.langlitz.com
If you wish to receive