DAVEH:
> As I previously mentioned, I'm no lawyer.
> However, I suspect there is more to this
> "easement" situation than is readily apparent.
> I suspect the lawyers will dig deep into this issue.

The legal matter here is very clear.  It is not difficult to understand, but
many lawyers not familiar with Constitutional law do not understand it and
try to play legal games to get their own way.  All Constitutional lawyers
understand that a public easement carries with it the freedom to speak both
in print and with voice.

DAVEH:
> Even LDS folks do not have the right to go into Temple
> Square and start a 'street meeting', even if they are
> preaching LDS theology by the book.

Actually, they do have a legal right to do this right now because of the
public easement.  However, if the mind of the LDS church is to do as you say
here and outlaw any activity like this, then this would be a very wicked
situation.  LDS folks should have the right to go to this public forum and
start a street meeting if they like.  If they don't like something said in
the Temple, or if they disagree with what some official said, they should
have the right to address the problem right outside the Temple.  That is
what freedom of speech is all about.  It protects us from error and from
tyranny.  Once that freedom is taken away, all manner of deception and
iniquity becomes possible.

David Miller wrote:
>> The issue is whether or not there will be
>> freedom of speech for everyone.

DAVEH:
> It is where the freedom may be exercised.

This freedom to speak covers all traditional public fora, which includes
street corners, public parks, etc.  If there were no public easement, then
the LDS church would be in a position to stop all pedestrian traffic in this
area and do whatever they want with it.  Clearly, the previous deal had
concerns about the public losing access to this property and so the deal was
struck with public access continuing in this area.  Both sides agreed to
this.

David Miller wrote:
>> Keep in mind that a public street was closed
>> for this project.

DAVEH:
> And the city was compensated for that closure.

The city was compensated for closing the area to vehicular traffic and
allowing the LDS church to do their thing there, but the city was not
compensated for closing this to pubic access.  In fact, it was just the
opposite.  Public access was agreed upon by the LDS church and the city.  It
was part of the deal.

The reason I bring up the street closure was to bring to mind that the
history of this area indicates that the public had access to it.  Generally,
in situations like this, it is desireable to allow pedestrian traffic to
continue through the area.  If you allow public pedestrian traffic, then you
have to allow legal public activities, which includes free speech.

DAVEH:
> The question seems to be how "public access" is defined. Is it
> universally encompassing, or does it have limits. For instance,
> vehicular traffic will be restricted.

Public access is not some nebulous undefined thing.  I think it is very well
defined in constitutional law.  Of course, vehicular traffic may be
restricted, but freedom of speech cannot be restricted.  You can't say, "we
want to allow public access, but we don't want to allow the public to speak
or hand out literature."  Such a position clearly shows a rejection of
freedom of speech which is federally protected in this country.

DAVEH:
> Then you have some knowledge of the legalities of such
> matters, DavidM?

Yes I do.  I've been arrested because of actions just like this, so out of
necessity I have become very familiar with the legalities of these matters.
When it becomes personal like that, one educates himself rather quickly.

DaveH wrote:
> Do the owners of those table lose some of their rights
> when they place their tables on the sidewalk?

No, you are looking at this all wrong.  That's what the business owners
think.  They think that they are "losing their rights."  The problem is that
they are encroaching upon the public's rights and don't realize it.
Everyone tends to think of themselves as good people and doing what is good
and right for the community.  So when a business owner like this puts tables
out, he thinks he is doing a service to the community.  He is adding
something beneficial to the community.  Of course, he also hopes to make a
monetary profit, but even that he looks at as good for the community, so he
can provide jobs for people.  Then the dirty, smelly homeless guy sits on
one of his tables to eat a sandwich.  Or the homeless preacher / prophet
arrives and stands opposite his tables and delivers a message from God.
Suddenly, the business owner thinks he is losing his rights.  He has no
control over what happens with his customers.  He spent all this money
putting tables out there, and these are his customers, so what gives these
homeless guys the right to do anything here?  From his perspective, they are
taking away his rights.

The truth is that he has been encroaching upon the rights of the public by
putting his tables out there on public property.  Truly he does add to the
community if he does so recognizing the freedom and right of the public to
continue as they always have.  It's great to have tables and food there.
But if the business owner seeks to control what happens there as if it were
private property, then he is in the wrong.  What he is doing is almost like
stealing the land away from the poor and converting into a use that betters
him and other wealthy people like him.  Our laws protecting freedom of
speech protect the poor.

DaveH wrote:
> What's your experience.....is it universally viewed/decided
> by the courts (or enforcement bureaus) as favorable to the
> street preachers? Or do the business owners win some of
> the decisions?

Sometimes, with good lawyers, the business owners win in the lower courts,
but they always lose in the higher courts.  It is universally decided by the
higher courts that the public has a right to free speech in traditional
public fora.

Unless the LDS church gets rid of the public easement, they don't have a
legal leg to stand on.  Their only recourse is to have the city council
remove the public easement.  In my experience with city council meetings in
Tampa, I agree with the mayor of Salt Lake City that the SLC council has
already decided to do this.  Having public hearings to investigate and
consider a matter usually indicates that they have already decided.  Unless
something earth shattering is brought up that convinces them that they
should not remove the public easement, they will do it.  The public hearings
give the appearance of fairness and openness with regard to a controversial
matter.

The problem is that these council members trust the LDS church to do what is
right with the property.  What if it were proved that the church would
completely close off pedestrian traffic completely, say, put up a gate and
guard and keep people out.  What if it were further proved conclusively that
the city council members themselvers, personally, and much of the public
would NEVER be allowed to walk on that property ever again.  If the council
would still vote yes to removing the public easement if this were the case,
then I would say that they were probably doing the right thing.  On the
other hand, if their vote would be to keep the public easement in such a
situation, then they need to seriously consider that they are being derilect
in their public responsibility in removing the easement.  They are allowing
their own acceptance and personal trust in the LDS church to cloud their
judgment in the matter.

Please don't misunderstand me.  I'm not saying that the LDS church is going
to do what I just mentioned.  I'm just creating a hypothetical situation to
try and help take the Mormon bias out of the decision making process.  If
the public easement is removed, the LDS church could do whatever it wants,
which means exactly as I stated above.  Therefore, a purely legal decision
would not involve trust regarding what the LDS church will or will not do
once the pubic has turned over their easement to it.  Legal decisions about
removing a public easment need to consider this because we don't know the
future.  If the above scenario of permanently blocking all the public from
accessing this property is not an acceptable option, then the public
easement should remain, in my opinion.

DAVEH:
> As I explained in a parallel post to Glenn, we
> prefer to avoid confrontational evangelism.

It does not have to be "confrontational."  There are lots of people who
don't like confrontational approaches to evangelism, but they still respect
the right of others to voice their dissent.  You could just set up tables
with literature to share the truth about your religion.  Surely it would get
read if people are motivated enough to come speak on the property there.

DaveH wrote:
> Have you ever seen an LDS person protesting about
> anything?

It might be uncommon for LDS to exercise free speech in this way, but that
only establishes the fact that they are in the position to be unappreciative
of this great American liberty of free speech.  Those who don't exercise
freedom of speech need to be careful that they don't overlook its great
value to the poor in our community.

David Miller wrote:
>> Don't you see a problem here with objectivity?

DAVEH:
> No.

For someone who has always admitted to being biased by the LDS philosophy,
I'm surprised at your answer here.  Your trust in the LDS church and its
representatives is showing through.  What if I were talking about Waco,
Texas and how every city council member was a member of the Branch Davidian
church?  Would there possibly be a chance that they might lack objectivity
in a decision that benefitted that church?

DAVEH:
> It is called 'representative government'. If the
> citizens of SLC don't want LDS biases elected,
> they shouldn't vote for them. If a majority elect
> those folks, then should their (the majority) interests
> not be represented?

I'm not questioning the fact that these representatives were elected into
office.  I'm not questioning the fact that these are probably good people on
the council, because I don't know them.  What I do recognize is that they
were not voted in for only this one decision.  Furthermore, they each have a
personal interest in the church and so in this particular decision, they
should be very careful not to allow their personal relationship with the
church cloud their judgment to do what is in the best interest of the
general public, which includes non-Mormons.  Giving up the public easement
benefits the public in NO WAY.  It ONLY benefits the LDS church.  Think
about it.  You might claim that the public is getting money for it, but that
is a kind of ruse.  Did the public put up a "for sale" sign with regard to
their personal liberties?  "Freedom of speech for sale to the Mormon church,
if the price is right."  No, I don't think so.  This movement to take away
freedom of speech was instigated by the Mormon church, will be voted upon by
an all Mormon city council, and even the price will be determined by
Mormons.  You still don't see any problem with objectivity?

David Miller wrote:
>> right now a homeless person can go onto the plaza,

DAVEH:
> Do you mean the homeless person can live on that
> street? I'm not sure about that.

No, I mean he can walk onto the plaza, and perhaps sit down for awhile, eat
his lunch, talk with people.

David Miller wrote:
> but after the church buys it, he will be told
> to go somewhere else if he tries to go on it.

DAVEH:
> He may be told that now, if he tries to sleep on it.

I'm not talking about sleeping there.  Once the public easement is taken
away, the poor will have no rights to access the property at all.  A poor
man, even Jesus Christ himself, could be facing arrest just for walking on
the property.

David Miller wrote:
>> I'm against the private conversion of public land like
>> this because ultimately the poor are oppressed by
>> such actions.
>>
>> One thing is clear, freedom will be lost

DAVEH:
> Nonsense. Nobody's freedom is lost. It is simply restricted
> to a location outside those boundaries. As I understand it,
> the property in question is one block long.

That's how freedom is lost, Dave, one block at a time.  Think about it.

David Miller wrote:
>> The issue here strictly concerns freedom.

DAVEH:
> To me it seems the question is one of property rights.
> The freedoms are not taken away, but rather moved
> to the perimeter of that property.

The question of property rights has already been decided.  If the land is
privately owned, the owner may regulate activities on it as he sees fit.  If
there is a public easement, then he cannot violate the rights of the public.
The point is that if the LDS church gets its way, a poor man faces being
arrested and put in jail if he tries to speak on this property.  Only the
wealthy land owner will have rights.

This whole situation gives freedom to the one with money who can buy power
to have control while at the same time taking away freedom from the one
without money who cannot offer a higher price to the city council in order
to keep the public easement.

David Miller wrote:
>> What would Jesus do?

DAVEH:
> He tossed the bad guys out of the Temple. Outside they
> could do what they wanted, but the Lord did not want
> them inside to defile the Temple.

Did anyone in this situation demand the right to come into your Temple to
preach Jesus Christ?  We are only asking that our present right to preach
outside your Temple not be taken away.  Your comments are provoking me to
reconsider and reassess what is going on here.  Perhaps I need to follow the
example of Jesus and go into your Temple and cast out the people who are
defiling God's program there?  :-)  Just kidding.

The Jewish Temple had an outer court called the court of the Gentiles.  It
was in this area that both men and women, Jew and Gentile, were allowed.  It
was this traditional public forum that allowed Christianity to flourish.  If
you read in the book of Acts, the early believers met at the Temple daily.
It would be this outer court of the Gentiles where they did their public
ministry on a daily basis.  They were not allowed to go into the Temple
building itself whenever they wanted, only into this outer court.  This
freedom was protected by Judaism and Jesus would never have tried to take
away this right.  Jesus used this freedom himself to teach that which was
unpopular with the established ecclesiastical powers.  His apostles likewise
used it.

The LDS church at the least should think of this plaza area like the court
of the Gentiles that surrounded the Temple.  They should desire freedom for
everyone and protect the freedom of everyone.  Instead, they seem to be
concerned only about freedom for Mormonism.