-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] On Behalf Of Charles P. Locke
Sent: Monday, December 23, 2002 10:15 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Crucial Doctrines

David,

   Since you became a believer, have you sinned?

   You said "If you are still a sinner, then Jesus did not save you from
sin.  Perhaps your faith is only that one day you will be saved from the
consequences of sin." You are saying two separate things here. Jesus did
not
save us from sin, he saved us from the penalty (death) of sin.

   And, that little word "if" is indeed a big word. However, it does not

preclude our still being sinners. Check this out in 1 John 1 & 2,
especially
v. 10:

9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our
sins,
and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
10  If we say that we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word
is
not in us.
2:1  My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not.
And
if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the
righteous:
2  And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but
also
for the sins of the whole world.

I believe in salvation the moment we truly believe and put our faith in
Jesus.

And sin does not have dominion over us once we are saved, in that it
does
not put us to death since we are saved from the penaty of sin. However,
we
are still can be tempted, and still can sin. In Romans 6 Paul is
specifically addressing a specific that believed that intentionally
sinning
increasingly demonstrated God's abounding grace. Paul is correcting this

incorrect doctrine. (See 6:1. I have read commentaries that label these
people "antinomians", who believed that since they were no longer under
the
law they could sin freely and that, in fact, this was a good thing
because
it showed how great God's grace was!)

Perry