From: Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Crucial Doctrines
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 00:01:28 -0800

ShieldsFamily wrote:

>   Would God allow a person who willfully and knowingly disobeyed His
> laws
> eternal life????
>   IS IT POSSIBLE THAT COMMANDMENT-KEEPING, WHILE NOT BEING THE
> THING(JESUS)
> THAT SAVES A MAN, CAN STILL BE A REQUIRMENT FOR ETERNAL LIFE AND
>
> SALVATION???????
>
> -PETER
>
> Oooh, what a juicy question! What will Jesus say when He
> returns? Matthew 7
> 23   "And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; (1) DEPART
> FROM ME, YOU WHO PRACTICE LAWLESSNESS.'  Who can answer this??? Izzy

DAVEH:  I've explained it before as I believe, but few (none?) seemed to
agree.  Think of man's efforts to go to the moon.  Men have wondered how
to do it for ages, but until Uncle Sam (the USA taxpayers and NASA)
built a rocket capable of the feat, it was impossible for any of us to
bridge that gap.  Even with the rocket sitting on the launch pad
however, it was not simply a matter of getting in a compartment like an
elevator.  It took a certain amount of effort for the astronauts to
prepare for the journey, learn the procedures and endure the launch.  By
the 'grace' of the taxpayers, Uncle Sam made it all possible, but the
journey still required a certain amount of effort by those who were
willing to endure the journey to the end.

    I have pointed out a number of things that I believe are required
for salvation.  Faith, repentance are two that most Protestants agree
with.   Baptism is another, that (IMO) Jesus referred to in Jn 3:5 and
is evidenced by the fact that some early Christians practiced baptism
for the dead (1Cor 15:29).  And of course, I would think our Lord's
admonishment that those who endure to the end shall be saved (Mt 24:13)
implies there is more than a simple faith required.

    As I think Blaine mentioned awhile back, we are saved by the grace
of God after all we can do.  Can we really simply ride the coattails of
our Savior into heaven?  Will he allow "LAWLESSNESS" to sit on those
coattails?  As a covenant people, the Lord has promised salvation to
those who observe their end of the covenant.  Does anybody really think
the Lord is obligated to save those who don't observe his laws?  Why
should he keep his part of a covenant when those who he covenanted with
fail to keep their obligations?

    The Lord has provided the means by which those who accept him can be
saved by returning to our Heavenly Father.  By his grace, it is now
possible for all who love and obey (Jn 14:15) him to someday enter
heaven.  If it weren't for Jesus' atoning sacrifice, that (returning to
heaven) would simply not be possible.  Even with his redeeming act,
those who refuse to fully accept his terms are going to find themselves
excluded.  The path to heaven is narrow, and the gate strait.......And,
not every one who claims to be Christian will find himself in
heaven----just those who doeth the will of God.  (Mt 7:21)

--
Dave Hansen

MSN 8: advanced junk mail protection and 3 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/junkmail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_advancedjmf_3mf