From: "Charles Locke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [TruthTalk] Crucial Doctrines
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 07:03:11 +0000

Peter, et al,

If we all are required to keep the commandments, then no one is saved:
Rom 3:23 "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God." This includes me, and you, and every human that has ever lived. Otherwise, there would be no need for a savior. We would be judged "by the law" because we lived "by the law".

Think of it this way. God shows mercy and bestows grace on those who believe. Showing mercy is not delivering a punishment that one deserves. (Think of one throwing oneself at the mercy of the court. They are asking the court for a lesser punishment than they deserve!) The mercy shown us by God is that we are saved from the penalty of our sins (and the wages of sin is death!).

Grace is bestowing a gift that is not deserved. The grace we are given by God is eternal life. Mercy and grace are free gifts, given to those who believe. Gifts cannot be earned. To take any credit for either our salvation or our eternal life would be to reject the free gifts of God, and thus nullify the sacrifice of his son.

Even after we are saved, we are still sinners. While are "position" relative to Christ has changed in that we have been removed from the penalty of sin, we still are under the power and in the presence of sin. However, because of our understanding of the mercy and grace of God, we seek to obey the commandments of God. This means we do not deliberately sin, but when we do inadvertently sin, we ask for forgiveness and he is faithful to forgive us.

Perry