Dean wrote:
> If this is true-Where does this place Jesus when he
> called them hypocrites-foxes-blind leading the blind?

Jesus's style of argumentation was not one whereby he resorted to ad
hominem attacks.  Most of the recorded teachings of Jesus are void of
any kind of name calling.  In those few cases where he did employ it,
they were not the result of his lack of arguments.  Rather, he mixed in
much explanation and forceful arguments for why he was applying the
label.  For example, read Matthew 23 where Jesus does a lot of name
calling.  He does not just get frustrated with his opponents and yell,
"HYPOCRITE!  BLIND MAN!"  Rather, he cites many examples of how they
practice their hypocrisy.

On TruthTalk, while we do not allow ad hominem attacks, we do afford
enough latitude such that you can use labels.  For example, you can say,
"I believe you are deceived David because you say ..."  If your label is
couched with information that can be responded to, that will be ok.
Nevertheless, I would warn that it is a slippery slope to use labels in
this way.  People too often get lazy and rely on the labels rather than
the arguments when they go down this path.  Use labels sparingly and
deliberately.  If you find that the label you use causes the person you
are addressing to withdraw from discussion, or it causes them to change
the subject to defending themselves rather than defending their idea of
truth, then you need to back off of the labels and apply yourself to
discussing the concepts involved.  The goal of this list is to discuss
truth with people who have different systems of knowledge, not for
people to fight and malign one another.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.