From: "Blaine Borrowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Blaine:  I respectfully (DavidH has taught me a few things) disagree.
(:>)  They definitely were keeping their fingers on the pulse of the
common folk, I have no contention with that.  But they did it because
these folks were the source of their power, wealth and social status.

Judy:
They weren't elected officials Blaine. The seat of Moses was something
instituted by God.

**Blaine:  The seat of Moses--was it the High Priest's office?
If so, the HP office was a political plum during the time of Jesus
Christ.
Whereas it was by tradition and commandment to be reserved for the
seed of Aaron only, during this time it was an appointment from Herod
and the Romans alike.

Judy: That's mighty big of Herod since he was an Edomite and a
Philistine. He only married the daughter of one of the high priests so
you can see how perverted everything had become by the time of Jesus.

Blaine:
Although it was traditionally a lifetime appointment, the office was
filled
by 28 different men between 37 B.C. and A.D. 68.  So, regards your
contention that this was not an elected office, you are correct.
However,
although the power of life and death was reserved for Roman officers,
the Jewish leaders had considerable influence--power--as evidenced by
the fact they were able to stir up the populace to demand the crucifixion

of Jesus.

Judy:
I'm not surprised, dosen't sound like they were too blessed does it?

Blaine:
The populace was basically the only thing they both feared and
revered, since by manipulating it, they could apparently persuade the
Roman governor to go against his own judgements, knowing the last
thing he wanted was an insurrection of the populace.

Judy:
They may have feared losing the ppl but I don't believe they revered
them because of their religious stand. They told the man who received
his eyesight that he was born in sin and they knew that God will not
hear sinners... which is true but the underlying assumption here is
that they themselves weren't.

Blaine:
Their power to manipulate the populace came from the high status/
prestige of their offices as members of the Sanhedrin, and as Priests,
Levites, teachers, etc., which were traditional offices in the Priesthood

of Aaron.   Holders of these titles and offices were reverenced by
almost all Jews, even Jesus counseled to listen to the HP and elders,
but to not do what they did.

Judy:
Well they may have fooled some of the ppl some of the time but they
didn't fool all of the ppl all of the time because it was noted at least
once that Jesus taught as one having authority and not like the scribes.
A person with spiritual discernment today can tell if a preacher/teacher
speaks the words of Jesus or is off on a tangent doing his own thing.

Blaine:
In their peculiar social structure, holding religious office and having
high social status went hand in hand, eclipsed only by the amount of
money one could show evidence of having access to--what one social
scientist of recent times has called  status symbols.  Status symbols
vary from society to society, but money always seems to be what the
symbols represent.  In our society, we value expensive cars--the more
expensive, the more status associated with the symbol.  Jewelry is
the same.  The more expensive, the better. A  $10,000.00 Rolex
does not keep better time than an $80.00 Citizen watch, but people
still want the Rolex above any other, because of the status if confers
upon the owner.   And houses!!  A house with five bedrooms and
three baths carries more status than one with two bedrooms and
one bath (:>)  Right?  But either way, the symbols represent
money--

Judy:
Shows where their hearts were since it is impossible to serve both
God and Mammon. It's obvious where their treasure is and where
that is their hearts were also and Jesus told them so.

Blaine:
and in the case of the Pharisees and other Jewish chief priests and
scribes, the source of the money was selling religious items to the
populace, and if it could be done on the temple grounds, all the
better, as doing such added to the significance and importance of
the for-sale items, and therefore higher prices could likely have been
charged.

Judy:
It wasn't temple souvenirs or anything like that. I understood
they were selling inferior animals for sacrifice and over charging
the people for them.

Blaine:
The only real fear the Jewish leaders had was the populace
in general, whom both the appointed Jewish  officials as well as
the Romans had nightmares about, since insurrection was an
ever-present possibility.  They all knew the Jews were an
intelligent and religiously zealous bunch, very hard to control at
times, especially when it came to religious issues.

A popular leader, as Jesus Christ was, became the only real fear
these Jewish leaders had.  When Christ entered the city of
Jerusalem on the colt of an ass, this had tremendous significance
to the Jews.  Only the seed of David did such an act as that, and
only in fulfillment of prophecies known widely among the Jews.

Judy:
I only know of one prophecy in Zechariah pertaining to this.
Are there others that you know of?

Blaine:
The Scribes, Pharisees, hypocrites though they were, knew they
were destined to obscurity if they did not get rid of this man,
whom they knew in their hearts to be the real Messiah.

Judy:
I'll have to differ with you once more on this point. I don't
believe they knew in their hearts who Jesus was. They were
stiff necked and rejected His teaching so God did not open their
eyes to see.

Blaine:
As you said, Judy, for envy they killed him.   They willingly
shed his innocent blood to protect their power, status and wealth.
See Matt 21:15   And when the chief Priests and Scribes saw the
wonderful things that he did, and the children crying in the temple,
and saying, Hosanna to the Son of David;  they were sore afraid.
Jesus was crucified the next day, by the way

Judy:
Sad scene, demonstrating once more the truth of scripture.
God hides things from the wise and prudent and reveals them
to babes...

Blaine:
These men--scribes and Pharisees-- were the ones who bought and
sold in the temple, and were the ones Jesus drove out on two different
occasions.

Judy:
Correction... You are right, he did do it twice... so I've learned
something that I had overlooked before.

**Blaine:  He did it twice.  The first time was right after the wedding
in Cana, at the beginning of his ministry, during the Passover.
See John 2:13-17  The second time was after he had entered
Jerusalem on the colt of an ass, and was hailed as the Son of David.
He then went to the temple, and repeated his earlier cleansing.
See Matt 29:12   This was one of his final acts before he was
arrested and eventually crucified.  As with the first cleansing,
it happened in conjunction with the Passover.  The two
cleansings happened about three years apart.

Judy:
No wonder he was watched and questioned so closely, he was
hardly in the business of making friends and influencing ppl,
at the temple anyway.