----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2004 3:45 AM
Subject: [TruthTalk] arophobia: fear of reason

From: "Blaine Borrowman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
**Blaine:  I respectfully (DavidH has taught me a few things) disagree.
(:>)  They definitely were keeping their fingers on the pulse of the
common folk, I have no contention with that.  But they did it because
these folks were the source of their power, wealth and social status.

Judy:
They weren't elected officials Blaine. The seat of Moses was something
instituted by God.

**Blaine:  The seat of Moses--was it the High Priest's office?  If so, the HP office was a political plum during the time of Jesus Christ.  Whereas it was by tradition and commandment to be reserved for the seed of Aaron only, during this time it was an appointment from Herod and the Romans alike.  Although it was traditionally a lifetime appointment, the office was filled by 28 different men between 37 B.C. and A.D. 68.  So, regards your contention that this was not an elected office, you are correct.  However, although the power of life and death was reserved for Roman officers,  the Jewish leaders had considerable influence--power--as evidenced by the fact they were able to stir up the populace to demand the crucifixion of Jesus.  The populace was basically the only thing they both feared and revered, since by manipulating it, they could apparently persuade the Roman governor to go against his own judgements, knowing the last thing he wanted was an insurrection of the populace.   Their power to manipulate the populace came from the high status/prestige of their offices as members of the Sanhedrin, and as Priests, Levites, teachers, etc., which were traditional offices in the Priesthood of Aaron.   Holders of these titles and offices were reverenced by almost all Jews, even Jesus counseled to listen to the HP and elders, but to not do what they did.  In their peculiar social structure, holding religious office and having high social status went hand in hand, eclipsed only by the amount of money one could show evidence of having access to--what one social scientist of recent times has called  status symbols.  Status symbols vary from society to society, but money always seems to be what the symbols represent.  In our society, we value expensive cars--the more expensive, the more status associated with the symbol.  Jewelry is the same.  The more expensive, the better. A  $10,000.00 Rolex does not keep better time than an $80.00 Citizen watch, but people still want the Rolex above any other, because of the status if confers upon the owner.   And houses!!  A house with five bedrooms and three baths carries more status than one with two bedrooms and one bath (:>)  Right?  But either way, the symbols represent money--and in the case of the Pharisees and other Jewish chief priests and scribes, the source of the money was selling religious items to the populace, and if it could be done on the temple grounds, all the better, as doing such added to the significance and importance of the for-sale items, and therefore higher prices could likely have been charged.   The only real fear the Jewish leaders had was the populace in general, whom both the appointed Jewish  officials as well as the Romans had nightmares about, since insurrection was an ever-present possibility.  They all knew the Jews were an intelligent and religiously zealous bunch, very hard to control at times, especially when it came to religious issues.  A popular leader, as Jesus Christ was, became the only real fear these Jewish leaders had.  When Christ entered the city of Jerusalem on the colt of an ass, this had tremendous significance to the Jews.  Only the seed of David did such an act as that, and only in fulfillment of prophecies known widely among the Jews.  The Scribes, Pharisees, hypocrites though they were, knew they were destined to obscurity if they did not get rid of this man, whom they knew in their hearts to be the real Messiah.  As you said, Judy, for envy they killed him.   They willingly shed his innocent blood to protect their power, status and wealth.   See Matt 21:15   And when the chief Priests and Scribes saw the wonderful things that he did, and the children crying in the temple, and saying, Hosanna to the Son of David;  they were sore afraid.  Jesus was crucified the next day, by the way

Blaine:
These men--scribes and Pharisees-- were the ones who bought and
sold in the temple, and were the ones Jesus drove out on two different
occasions.

Judy:
I understand there to have been just  one of these incidents; but yes
the religious leaders were in charge of what went on at the temple.

**Blaine:  He did it twice.  The first time was right after the wedding in Cana, at the beginning of his ministry, during the Passover.  See John 2:13-17  The second time was after he had entered Jerusalem on the colt of an ass, and was hailed as the Son of David.  He then went to the temple, and repeated his earlier cleansing.  See Matt 29:12   This was one of his final acts before he was arrested and eventually crucified.  As with the first cleansing, it happened in conjunction with the Passover.  The two cleansings happened about three years apart.

Blaine:
They clearly saw Jesus Christ as a rival to their own control over
the source (the people) of what they valued most--money, power, status.
Their hearts were so much preoccupied with these things, they rationalized
to themselves they had cause against him sufficient to kill him.

Judy:
Is killing another human being ever a rational deed even when pre
meditated and planned?  More likely it is something done irrationally
in the passion of the moment.

**Blaine  By "rationaized,"  I mean they thought up excuses to do the deed.  Rational does not always mean  reasonable.  In Psychology, to rationalize is to make excuses--it is considered an ego protective device employed commonly to protect the self-concept from admitting in reality, and thus endangering one's beliefs about himself as an integrated personality.

Blaine:
Yet, as Jesus said, they "hated me without a cause."   If they had no
cause, they must have therefore known who he was.  But they chose
to get rid of him anyway ...

Judy:
I do not get the connection above. How is hating him for no apparent
reason proof that they actually knew who he was? They rejected his
teaching and would not believe him for his works sake.  Only a few
of them such as Nicodemus who visited him at night with questions
understood and believed the rest had darkened hearts and were as
blind as bats. Understand that noone is able to come to Jesus
unless they are drawn by the Father so apparently these religious
men did not qualify.

**Blaine:  If you won't take my word for it, maybe you will believe Jesus.   Again, I refer you to the parable of the laborers in the vineyard.  In the parable, the laborers (the Jews--Pharisees,  scribes, etc.) knew the heir (Jesus) was the son of the vineyard owner (God).  They killed him hoping this would enable them to retain control of the vineyard ( the Jewish religious system, or the populace) for themselves.

Blaine:
thus preserving their valued positions in the then current socio-
economic  status system.  Satan has power to tempt people to go for
the short-term goals in preference to the long term ones, and they
often do cave in.

Judy:
The Romans had the socio economic power in Israel during the time
of Jesus earthly ministry; the scribes and pharisees were religious
people who could not have had him legally killed without the Roman
Governor's consent.
**Blaine:  The Romans held political power, and  socio-economic power, but they conceded a lot of this power to the local leaders, in this case, the Jewish leaders.  They did this in most of their occupied territories.  It was easier to control the people.  For the same reason, the US wants to have Iraq controlled by Iraqis, if possible.  The word "political" is derived from the same root word as "police."  Both refer to the power to enforce law and order.  They are not necessarily the same as social and economic power.

Blaine:
As Jesus said, "What does it profit a man to gain the whole world,
but lose his own soul."  This is a good question, but the answer is,
people often do exactly that, and this is my whole point.  These
men preferred the short term goal over the longer term one.  They
sold their souls for a few pieces of silver, so to speak, just as did
Judas Iscariot.

Judy:
The outcome may have been the same but this was not a mental or
rational issue Blaine.  These are spiritual realities - the Jewish leaders
were full of religious spirits and rather than embrace the truth and
allow the truth to make them free they rejected the Lord of Glory
and chose to remain in their chains of hypocrisy and religious
bondage.  Their system went down along with the temple.

**Blaine:  I agree, especially with your word "chose."  (:>)

Blaine:
To use an experience I had once with a woman who confessed
she knew Mormonism was true--once having confessed this, she
nevertheless refused to be baptized, because, as she later admitted,
she didn't want to give up her alcoholic beverages, she didn't want
to have to pay a 10% tithe, and most of all she did not want to
give up her friends and family, who were all against her becoming
a member of the LDS Church.
Judy:

The woman was apparently confused

**Blaine:  Apparently?  She didn't seem confused to me.

but I can't grieve for her any
more than for you and DaveH because if you guys had a genuine
revelation of the real Jesus you would burn your books of
Mormon,
fall at his feet and follow him becoming a sheep rather
than a god, because He is in fact the Word of God, the living Word,
and the ONLY way to  the Kingdom of God and eternal life.

Judy

**Blaine:  I sometimes wonder that you cannot see that your Jesus only wants you to be a sheep groveling at his feet, but my Jesus wants me to be like him. It is the nature of being a father to want his children to do as he says, and to be at least as good as he is--maybe better.  Why would Jesus not want the same for us?  Do you really conceive of him as being the  self-centered tyrant you portray, who just wants worshippers, but to whom he denies the real riches he possesses?  I would think such a Jesus would have to be somewhat insecure to be that way.  My Jesus, is, by comparison with the Traditional Protestant Belief System conceptualization, a far more secure and generous Jesus.  I have to say I like my Jesus best.  I don't see a lot of incentive to worship your Jesus.  He seems a little stingy to me.  (:>)