On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 00:58:16 -0800 Dave <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Let me ask what to me seems a simple
> question, DavidM.....what (in relation to
> the T-Doctrine) is meant by essence?
> And, why is it brought into the T-Doctrine
> discussion?  Is there anything in the Bible
> that attributes essence to the Godhead?
> It seems to me that essence is simply
> another word coined by post Biblical
> theologians in an effort to obfuscate
> rather than to illuminate.

     If I remember correctly, words like "essence" were introduced by
folks like Thomas Aquinas to validate Christian theology by making it
consistent with the lexicon and notions of the ancient Greek
philosophers. Apparently, they were led astray to a form of idolatry in
which they placed their trust in the earthly wisdom of the ancient Greek
philosophers.