Bill,

The picture you drew about God’s beauty brought tears to my eyes—so true! What do you think of M. Scott Peck’s words in “The Road Less Traveled”?---

“If you want to know the closest place to look for grace, it is within yourself. If you desire wisdom greater than your own, you can find it inside you. What this suggests is that the interface between God and man is at least in part the interface between our unconscious and our conscious. To put it plainly, our unconscious is God. God within us. We were part of God all the time. God has been with us all along is now, and always will be. “  Then he goes on to explain that this is what we term the presence of the Holy Spirit.

Izzy

Think with me for a moment about instinct, things that we know but cannot explain. How does a baby know to suck upon her mother's breast? How do we know to close our eyes when something is hurled at us? How do we know when we've seenthe beauty of a sunset or a rose or a bably calf running in the springtime with its head down and its tail straight up behind it, that God is wonderful, that God is beautiful, that God is good, that God is love? How do we know that a thought is placed in our mind by God and did not originate from within us? These instinctive-type disclosers are relational, I believe, because we are created in the image of a relational God, a Triune God who is One by way of relationship between Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

When I think about defining "relationship" with the Lord, I want to leave room in my explanation for these theological instincts, awarenesses of God in the presence of which I can only marvel. I also want tobe humble enough to remember that I know more than I can say. Relationship is fellowship with the Father through Jesus Christ in the Holy Spirit. It is participation in the Truth, the Creator of reality -- Existence himself.