So well put, Bill. You have a gift for that. I think your “theological instinct” is what I mean by direct revelation from the Holy Spirit. He gives you this thought/idea/concept and then elaborates upon it. Then you realize that it was stated, in one way or another, in scripture all along—you just never saw it quite that way before. And you are also right—words fail to express the fullness of the meaning.

One thing I like about Scott Peck is his absolute transparency about his own spiritual quest. For him, Buddhism was one step along the path to real Truth. He says if he hadn’t learned the concept of “paradox” from Buddhism, he could never have ultimately embraced Christianity, which is full of paradox.  I enjoy watching spiritual growth—at whatever point it is. Peck has not yet “arrived”, just like the rest of us. We Believers are all on our own spiritual paths towards Jesus, helping each other as we go along, cheering one another on, gently helping each other up when we stumble. (If we are walking in love.) I really like Peck’s explanation of the Stages of Faith. Izzy

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Wm. Taylor
Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 11:45 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] God in our unconscious

Izzy,

Have you ever treaded glass so as to stay away from stickers? I did not really know what to do with Peck. As I said, I am not all that familiar with him. I wasn't aware of what Judy shared, for instance. However, I have been misunderstood enough times to know that I should extend to others, whether it be Peck or pelicans, the opportunity to plea. Nuance is necessary if we are going to actually have a living language. Without nuance words become redundant and reductive; they lose there punch. Context is so important, too. I just can't stress enough (nor with you do I feel the need to) that words mean things imbedded in context. They're loose and perverted when flopped and hopped from bed to bed. Sherrie used the word "contextualized" to make a very valid point. I appreciated her for that. And so I did not want to fall out of bed, nor did I feel happy snuggling up to what he said. Thank you for giving me something more through which to begin to understand him. I appreciate that.

Theological instinct is kind of like what happens when you begin to know things about God that are not explicitly stated in Scripture. Yet they are as true as if they were. An example of this is in the Greek word perichoresis. The word itself means something like "about the dance" or "concerning the dance." The early church borrowed this word to speak to the interaction between the Father and the Son and Holy Spirit. The Bible never actually or explicitly describes that interaction in terms of a dance, but the church saw the give and take, the lead and follow, the love and appropriateness of the closeness of the Father - Son relationship, and likened it to the beauty of dance. That's pretty cool I think. Perichoresis can also mean something like "about the choir." Think of the beauty and the harmony of voices coming together make a distinct sound; then think of the equally beautiful sound of distinct voices emerging to take the lead from time to time. They saw this in that Triune relationship. I think that's helpful; I think that's saying something as true as if it were Written. I think that's pretty cool. That's theological instinct -- knowing more than we can say.

Thanks,

    Bill