From: "David Miller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: May 17, 2004 09:08
Subject: RE: [TruthTalk] Land of the Free

Lance wrote:
> As I've quoted so many times: "no syntactics contains
> ITS OWN semantics".

You dropped the discussion on this topic, so I'm not sure what your
peculiar understanding of this is.  I hate guessing at what people are
thinking, but in this case, I think I must offer some comments.  If they
don't apply to you, don't get mad at me and say that I am
misrepresenting you.  Just clarify your perspective.

Syntactics is not the same as syntax, and yet it appears that you are
interpreting this statement in that way to make fallacious arguments.
Syntax certainly does have its own semantics, as I have shown in a
symbols to represent concepts.  Gödel reduced some philosophical
statements to mathematical symbols in order to create some interesting
theorems and proofs.  By doing this, a side observation is made of "no
syntactics contains its own semantics."  Big deal.  Everyone who has
studied algebra already knows this is true.  We substitute symbols all
the time in order to resolve mathematical problems.  Children call them
"word problems."  We convert the problem stated in words to mathematical
symbols, and then we can use the logic system of math to resolve the
problem without clouding our mind with the specific meanings of the
symbols themselves.  Every child who has worked math problems
understands this, but you have to say, "no syntactics contains its own
semantics," which only obfuscates the issue while at the same time
causing you to appear intelligent by your use of esoteric words that
only few understand.

So to aid our communication, please recognize the difference between
syntax and syntactics, more specifically, symbol meaning.  The syntax of
a sentence is something much more than the substitution of symbols.  The
arrangment of words can have specific meaning, and it is a meaning
defined by the language itself.  Therefore, while I might agree that no
syntactics has its own semantics, I would not agree that no syntax (the
order and arrangment of words and structural elements) has its own
semantics (meaning).

Lance wrote:
> You are correct IFF (if and only if) you never have to visit that
>"woodshed" again. What are the chances of that being the case?
> What I believe "changed" was behaviour. That "change" is temporary.

Why do you insist that I would be correct ONLY if future punishment was
not necessary?  What if I said you were correct if and only if you never
had to speak to her again about her misbehavior?  Would that mean that
words do not change a person's heart?  Of course not.  I expect a series
of punishments and instruction to be needed.  I might have to spank her
7 times and speak to her 50 times before her heart is changed.  So what.
These are the tools used to change her heart.

I think perhaps what you mean to say is that punishment ALONE is
insufficient to change hearts.  I would agree with that statement.  If
my wife punishes one of our children, I am always asking her what she
said to the child because that is more important, in my perspective,
than the actual punishment itself.  The combination of love, words, and
punishment is a powerful way to change hearts.  These are the methods of
God himself, giving us the law and its decree of punishment, and also
giving us the good news of the gospel of mercy found in Jesus Christ.
Systems that advocate only the use of words or only the use of
punishment always seem to fail.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.