John, I agree there are cultural mores reflected in our thinking of right and wrong.  There is also a true right and wrong awareness in our heart that is put there by God alone.  (That more important conscience is what Lance disputes.) Izzy

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, August 21, 2004 9:02 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] Christians' authority over nature

I think you have misspoken --

In a message dated 8/21/2004 11:10:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

John, Paul was referring to the OT Law (or sometimes Talmud law) whenever he referenced the Law.  Most early Christians were Jews, well associated with the Law.  Yes, but he uses "law" eight times in this text  in a general sense  -- if this Gentile has not heard The Law, what is the big deal about arguing m point about "any law."  If I agreed with you, here, gave up on the general use of "nomos,"  you would still be in egeteical trouble with a a capital T.

According to Romans, all are judged by the right and wrong that they know

in their hearts, whether from the written Law or not.

But here is where you go amiss.   Because  ..   I fully agree !!  Eeee hah  -- I won.

Lance is incorrect: God has given us a conscience to know right from

wrong (at least until we have seared it.) Izzy

Lance is just saying that the conscience is not loaded up, at birth, with the "correct" thinking on ethics and morality  --  they come our way via teaching.   Look, if I wanted to humiliate my ex mother in law, a Jesus only woman, all I have to do is to cut her hair.    A cultural demand in scripture that is a matter of conscience with this woman.