Hi Izzy,

I believe that Lance wants to construct not just a theory to unify all known physical information but one that encompasses everything under the Person of Jesus Christ.  I believe it to be a noble cause as well.  You are correct that science does not need a theological counterpart.  It does however, need to be submitted to the authority of who God is.  I believe you are saying that below, just using different words.  I also believe that you relate to both believers and non-believers.  This is why Lance keeps hammering at you and Judy that you two indwell the gospel in many different ways.  You may think he is being facetious but he really means it.  We call it the great dance, the partaking of the divine nature, the living a life out of the center of Jesus Christ.  Look at any post you have made about your family.  Where does the love you have for your family come from?  Straight from God’s love that is shared between the Father, Son, and Spirit.  By sharing in His life, you love others.  This is what Lance is getting at when he speaks of relating.

JBH

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of ShieldsFamily
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 10:27 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [TruthTalk] Two Covenants?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Hughes Jonathan
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2004 12:59 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hi Izzy,

Hope this helps:

Wikipedia defines the TOE as: A theory of everything (TOE) is a theory of theoretical physics and mathematics that fully explains and links together all known physical phenomena (i.e. "everything").

This is a scientific construct designed to encapsulate all of our scientific knowledge.  Lance is asking what the theological counterpart of this scientific theory would be.  Actually he may even be taking a step beyond this.  I think he would say that the scientific theory of everything (TOE) would become a predicate (become part of, or a subset) of the theological theory of everything (TTOE).  What is the meaning of the cosmos, of creation?  We can sum up that meaning in the Person of Jesus Christ.  As we do not separate God's acts from God's being we can substitute the incarnation (God with us in space and time as the Godman, fully God and fully human) for the words Jesus Christ.  Lance is suggesting that we define all that we do and think through the lens of the incarnation.  The incarnation being the focal point out of which we come to understand our lives.  What we tend to do is use our theology to define our lives.  Lance is suggesting that we allow God to define our theology.  Lance goes on to suggest that in order to do this two things may need to occur:

1)  Move past (not ignore) external relations to think of internal relations, or onto-relations as he likes to call them when we speak.  The human person is defined by relationality.  To be fully human is to relate.  Out of these relations comes change and growth.

2)  Indwell the Scriptures.  The Word of God is capable of setting us free.  When we allow God's Word to indwell us in light of who He is we come into this internal relation.

Hope this helps.  Based on what I have said, can you see why Slade's response this morning came out of 'internal relations'?

Unfortunately my lunch break is over :)

Jonathan Hughes

Jonathan, I’m not sure anyone can use one theory to unify all know physical information. Good luck to whoever tries. I happen to believe that, if the Theory of Everything were true and factual, it would not need a theological counterpart. True science does not deny God.  It confirms His handiwork. When we live our lives by the instructions of the Bible we ARE allowing God to define our theology—and the everything we do is an act of worship. I don’t know who Lance is preaching to about relating, but I think I do plenty of that, with Believers and non-believers.  Since I have been dwelling on the scriptures for 30+ years I think they are quite a part of me by now. The Holy Spirit definitely indwells me.  So it all seems like much ado about what is already going on for your average Believer to me. Izzy

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---