Bill Taylor wrote:
> I read this and could not get it out of mind;
> it continues to shape my thinking in this area:
> ... <snip> ...

I have no problem with the love and hug stuff, Bill, but I do have a problem
with the idea of acceptance without rebuke.  I have had similar experiences
with homosexuals as you describe in this quote from Torrance.  However, I
also have had other experiences where it was prudent for me to make it clear
to the homosexual that God does not accept him as he is.  He commands
homosexuals as well as other sinners to repent.

There are too many homosexuals these days who think that God accepts them
along with their homosexuality.  The Metropolitan Community Church is one
example, and look at how the Episcopals accept homosexual clergy.  This
acceptance doctrine is out of control.  Repentance has become a foreign
concept to this version of the gospel.

Bill wrote:
> Our job, it seems to me, as Christians is
> not to convict people of their sins; that is
> the work of the Holy Spirit.

But the Holy Spirit also uses people to do his work.  This is why
"repentance" is part of the gospel message preached by Christ and his
apostles.

Notice the conviction that Felix experienced when Paul reasoned with him
about righteousness, temperance, and the judgment to come:

Acts 24:25
(25) And as he reasoned of righteousness, temperance, and judgment to come,
Felix trembled, and answered, Go thy way for this time; when I have a
convenient season, I will call for thee.

Bill Taylor wrote:
> Our job is to love them, to accept them,
> to embrace them, as Roland did the young
> man, sinners that they are, that they might
> know the abounding grace and forgiveness
> of their Lord.

I hope Roland did not limit himself only to hugging the homosexual.  The
Scriptures teach us to do more than love, accept, and embrace sinners.  It
teaches us to reprove, rebuke and exhort with longsuffering and sound
doctrine.  Men of God do these things too.