In a message dated 3/31/2005 3:55:07 AM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Torrance writes;

âThe covenant between God and Israel was not a covenant between God and a holy people, but precisely the reverse. It was a covenant established out of pure grace between God and Israel in its sinful, rebellious and estranged existence. Hence, no matter how rebellious or sinful Israel was, it could not escape from the covenant love and faithfulness of God

There are a  number of righteous considerations in the larger quotation from Torrance.  But it is this (the above) that jumped off the page for me.   We tend to think that because of the giving of the Law by God, Himself, that Israel was judged by God via the Law.  Perhaps, on some level, this is true.   But, it is clear in scripture, that God will establish His will for these people NO MATTER WHAT.   The Christian Church of today, or should I say the Fundamentalist Church of today, certainly believes this.   Israel is being held up by the power and might of God because of his expressed grace toward them, and not because of their agreement with Him in the Christ of God.

A lesson for us all.

JD