One more word, David: When I said that perhaps you were indeed more righteous, I meant it. You may well be far ahead of me on many matters of behaviour. But you alternate between harshness and condescension in the way you talk to other believers on TT, which you do not seem to see. I imagine there must still be an appreciable gap between you and perfection, yet I don't hear any sorrow or longing over that. But perhaps if I encountered you in person, I would see and hear you differently.

Debbie

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, April 23, 2005 12:03 AM
Subject: Re: [TruthTalk] More wisdom from Dallas Willard

Hi David,

1. Why "flux": As has already been established ad nauseam, I disagree with you about biblical interpretation: I think it happens, and you don't. (Or is it that you think you always interpret aright? I forget.) You think it's possible to be certain about most everything, and I don't. You think that's the point, and I don't. I sometimes change my mind, and yours is immutable.

2. Teachings of men on par with HS: Certainly not those of men. (Oh--did you mean "people"?) But seriously: see #1.

3. Comparing self with others: I acknowledge this was not explicit in your post. Sorry. I inferred from your not wanting to be Caroline on judgment day that you preferred to be yourself on that occasion, as you would fare better. If that's not the case, who would you like to be? And as for such a concept never entering your mind: "empty words". It is abundantly clear from many of your posts that you consider yourself more righteous than those you are addressing. And perhaps you are, after all. Otherwise you would be busy taking logs out of your eyes.

4. Extremely embarrassed to come before the Lord and have this brought up: (a) We are before the Lord at all times. (b) Do you really think he is logging incidents and shelving the ledger each time in order to bring it all up later? Forgive me, David, but your god sounds very much like the Accuser! God's agenda in saving us is to change us into the people he wants--as soon as possible. Throughout our lives, God draws our attention to things appropriate to our stage, and may take startling measures to do so when necessary (see various posts of Caroline's). The rest of what you say, about confessing and repenting, seems to suggest you agree with this. Why would he be saving it up in order to nail us with it? See #1. (c) There is absolutely no difference between "#($&%" and "You espouse a doctrine of demons" or "You are of your father the devil". The latter are just "good KJV biblical lingo". Besides, she wasn't saying it. She was quoting it. :-)

5. Joking/unconcerned about sin: No one here is. It's just that you regularly mis-hear people. If it "seems" to you that believing we are already saved is making us apathetic, all I can say is, things are simply not what they seem to you. Besides, as to already being saved, and your difficulty hearing people: have you noticed John's posts about "have been saved", "are being saved", "will be saved", and what these mean, and what they entail for our lives? I won't repeat him.

6. Confessing, standard, etc.: our level of mutual intimacy does not permit me to go into detail, David, about the sins I confess. In any case, for purposes of the statements TTers have been making about remaining sinful and being acceptable to God, it is not about which sins or how many. If I am not completely sinless, I am sinful. Should I expect growth and change in specific areas? Of course; I am being saved, after all. Does it happen? Yes. Does it happen fast enough to satisfy you? I do not care. Does it happen as a result of you telling me God is going to lay charges against me? No.

7. Getting out of jail free: Actually, David, that is what it is all about. We aren't even on parole. Another has served our time and cleared our record.

That's all the time and ink I want to spend on that.

Debbie