They are only observations JD, I was misguidedly thinking that the immersion had been having an effect :)       What does this mean  --   and the smiley face.   I am missing something.   But
let's face it - When we come to Jesus we are all a mess and we remain a work in progress for a long time after that.
The goal of the instruction is love from a PURE heart and unfeigned love of the brethren which does not happen
overnight - and yes the condition of the heart is the deciding factor because a person with a pure heart will also
have a sanctified mouth in time and we all know what kind of strife the tongue can kindle.... jt

What you write above, is very much along the lines of my thinking.   I shall save this and move on to another topic.    Good stuff.