David Miller wrote:
DaveH wrote:

As you've pointed out before, the punctuation
can have a big effect on the meaning.....is it not
the translator who determines the punctuation?
And if so, then are we not left to wonder/hope/
presume he was duly inspired at the time he put
his spin on the Message?

I think your Mormon bias is showing.  :-)

DAVEH:  It always does!    (And I've never failed to admit it.....I just wonder if those I chat with recognize their own.)       :-)
Why assume that he must be inspired in order to place the proper
punctuation?
DAVEH:  You are right DavidM.....sometimes it can be accomplished with scholarship, and failing that a good guess may even be right at times.
 All that would be needed is a good knowledge of both
languages.
DAVEH:  Even having that.....the translator cannot read the mind of the author.
 Nevertheless, a little inspiration might not hurt.  :-)

DAVEH:   I take my last comment back.  With inspiration, the translator can read the mind of the author.    :-)

 Dave Hansen
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 http://www.langlitz.com
 If you wish to receive