DAVEH:  Thanx for explaining this, DavidM.  It does bring up another question though.  What other (other than baptism) ways do you see as ratifying the covenant?

David Miller wrote:
DAVEH:

As you probably know, I associate baptism with
such a covenant.  How do you perceive it?

Yes, I view it the same way.  However, I view baptism as the standard
_expression_ of faith for ratifying the covenant, not as the only way of
ratifying the covenant.  In fact, baptism without faith, in my opinion, does
not ratify the person's covenant with God at all.  They are just taking a
bath in such a case.

DaveH wrote:

... do you know if many Protestants believe in
personal covenants relating to salvation as well?

Yes, many do understand covenants and their personal covenant with Christ.
Even those who do not use the word covenant are basically talking about the
same thing when they talk about the need for a person to have "a personal
relationship with Jesus Christ."

David Miller