* Roberto Novaes: " [tryton-dev] Re: Using Pootle to translate Tryton" (Tue, 16
  Jun 2015 03:49:04 -0700 (PDT)):

Hi Roberto,

> > I am not the one to block improvements just for the sake of established
> > procedures. But if the established procedures turn out to be much more
> efficient
> > for power users, then it is just wrong to eliminate them.
>
> Totally agree. Is not there a way to reconcile both procesees?

If there is a will, there is a way...;) You even don't have to reconcile
something, you can just use both ways in parallel.

> I do not
> know enough about your workflow and I am starting to learn how to do things
> in Pootle. But isn't possible to use the client interface to translate and
> then upload the files to pootle? Is there a pootle API that would allow to
> automate this process (like, for instance, transifex client or something?)

Yes, there is an API. I didn't have a closer look at it yet. I expect it to
work, otherwise it will be a real degradation of the process. The point I am
claiming is, that I have yet to use now another API to get my translations into
the system. We will see by the time how it works.

> > Pootle may be indeed a great tool for evolving communities to start with
> translation.
> I think Tryton is still a niche software (power users) and needs to
> encompass a large community. This topic is repeatedly discussed on Tryton
> Foruns and meetings. One way to do that is to create easier ways to
> contribute, so you do not have to be a super power user of Python,
> Mercurial, review tools, etc (like me) in order to participate.
>
> > It is for sure not the tool for long time established translations with
> translation catalogs
> > and fine grained control of meanings. I would claim that using the
> translation
> > interface of the client I am 100 times faster than with the web interface
> of
> > pootle.
>
> Can you please explain why? How does your process work?

Jordi made already some good points on this subject, that I don't want to
repeat. In short: When translating in the client, you have multiple
possibilities to filter and sort translation items. You are
magnitudes faster in copying strings for related items, searching for items,
etc.. Additionally you can have instantly a look at the display (how the views
are rendered, how your translation looks like).

When translation is done, the whole tree can easily be exported to a
codereview. This codereview reflects much better the changes, that were made,
allows for easy comments and discussion, allows an easy download of the whole
patch, if someone should wants to test locally. Finally it is just one step to
commit those changes and push.

--

    Mathias Behrle
    MBSolutions

    Tel: +49(761)471023
    Fax: +49(761)4770816
    http://www.m9s.biz
    UStIdNr: DE 142009020
    PGP/GnuPG key availabable from any keyserver, ID: 0x8405BBF6