Hi,

The IETF has always stressed a bottom-up approach, taking ideas and "running
code" contributed by the community for new networking functionality, ranging
from disruptive to purely maintenance, and deciding whether there was IETF
consensus to work on standardizing the functionality.

Typically contributed functionality is described in Internet-drafts so the
IETF community can better understand the technology being proposed. This
approach also helps to ensure the IETF doesn't become a forum for marketing
press releases or other inappropriate usage of scarce IETF face-to-face
time.

Originally, BOFs were simply side meetings, often in bars, for an informal
discussion of a new idea. There were no IPR rules, no requirements for an
internet-draft first, and so on. Meeting in a bar allowed people to discuss
*ideas* without the formality of requesting an IETF session. But there is a
practical limit to the size of audience who can meet in a bar, to exchange
ideas on bar-napkins.

To  supplement bar-bofs [rfc6771],  the IETF standardized BOFs explicitly
designed to allow the presentation of new ideas to the community, permitting
larger audiences to gather in a room and have their meeting announced. BOFs,
however, grew very quickly to meetings that might include food and alcohol
provided by the idea proponents, and became more formal over time, with
officially scheduled sessions, BOF chairs, microphones, and the whole
shebang. Internet-drafts are typically required before a BOF session will be
approved.

Area directors realized there was a real downside to the increasing
formality of BOFs - interesting ideas in the real world were not being
brought into the IETF because the requirements to get a BOF session had
become a hurdle. The IETF ignores what is happening around it in the real
world at its own peril. Ignoring important new relevant technologies,
especially potentially disruptive technologies, risks the IETF being
"overtaken by events".

If we want to stay relevant to the industry we support, we must be willing
to listen to new ideas even if they do not come in the form of
internet-drafts. Area meetings then became a venue for what some directors
refer to as "mini-BOFs" - a larger audience than the bar-napkin discussions
afford, but less formal than BOFs. An internet-draft would be nice so people
knew where to look to find a discussion of the technology. However, the real
goal is to get the industry to come into the IETF to talk about interesting
and relevant technologies they have been working on outside the IETF.

David Harrington
ietf...@comcast.net
+1-603-828-1401

Berlin